Originally located on land near Canniesburn Toll, Canniesburn Golf Club opened as a 9 hole course towards the end of 1908. By Spring 1910, it had been extended to 18 holes and was formally opened with an International Match and Exhibition Game between four of Great Britain’s leading golf professionals – James Braid, Sandy Herd, J H Taylor and Harry Vardon. These players, who between them had won 16 Open Championships, played 2 rounds over the Canniesburn course
By the 1920’s, with the course reduced to 9 holes again due to agricultural demands during the First World War, and the lease for the land about to expire, the club moved to its current location and was renamed Windyhill Golf Club on a new course designed by 5 times Open Champion, James Braid.
Situated at the foot of the Kilpatrick Hills, near Bearsden, and with panoramic views over Glasgow, Windyhill is now recognised as one of the best courses west of the city and a rewarding challenge for golfers of all levels.
Recently the club was contacted via email by a gentleman in Holland who had acquired two postcards which featured pictures of Canniesburn Golf Club. He was happy to send them to us and they are reproduced here.
Further references to Canniesburn Golf Club can be found at
USING THE SCOTTISH GOLF APP
To use the App efficiently, you are advised to set up properly by following the two steps shown below.
Due to Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), your booking can only be seen by others if YOU allow this.
1. To allow your name to appear on any booking (when others are looking at the booking list), you need to:
– Open the App
– select More at the bottom of the screen
– select My App
– scroll down to SHOW MY BOOKING TO ALL MEMBERS and enable this.
2. To allow your name and contact details to appear on the Club Directory (which can be found by selecting GolfApps, next to More at the foot of the screen), you need to:
– Open the App
– select More
– select My Personal Data
– scroll down to ADD TO VENUE DIRECTORY and enable Windyhill Golf Club.